I Feel Different

I mean I was just wondering if I have a disorder of some kind. I’m very different, I guess. I’m a generally sarcastic person. I say negative things. I’m also very self-conscious. I figure I could just be acting like a normal teenager but the STARRED problems don’t seem very teenager like. *I’m very hard. * *I don’t get emotionally attached at all even to my own family. * *I used to live with my grandparents for 13 years. I recently moved to live with my mother about 3 years ago. I do not talk to my grandparents or anyone who isn’t living near me. Nor, do I want to. I just completely ignore them. My mother asks me and is astounded by the fact that I haven’t talked to them. I honestly don’t see anything wrong with me completely shutting them out of my life. * I have done self-harm and I do spiral into depression and anxiety. Currently, I’m generally happy. But I don’t feel like I need to be on this planet anymore. I don’t think I have anything else to do. I have yet to have a boyfriend and when I almost did. I shut him out as well. I flirt constantly though and I just never go all the way through with it.

A: I am very glad you have written in to us. While much of what you are feeling is normal, I want to extract one of your sentences and feed it back to you: “Currently, I’m generally happy. But I don’t feel like I need to be on this planet anymore.”

The statement is acontradiction. When people are happy they usually feel engaged and seek to find connection through relationships and achievement. They often say they have meaning in their life. Yet I hear you say that your happiness isn’t connected to these things at all.

I would begin by trying to sort this out with one of your counselors at school. He or she is likely to be able to help you start feeling better.