Psych Central

Afraid of My Dad

Ok , well I am an 11 year old girl and I am very mature and I do act older than I am but my dad seems to tell all the time without noticing he does , and he denies it . I cussed on Facebook , and I lied a lot about it to them when they found out . And I know what I did was wrong but I’m worried because my mom found out that I lied to cover up te story but the reason Isis it honestly is because I’m afraid of them and they don’t believe me at all. I don’t want to tell my dad because I’m scared he’ll abuse me physically and verbally (Which he already does all the time) I talked to my counselor about this but I need a professional therapist’s take on what I should do. I’m really scared right now about what he’ll do . Please just give me advice on what I should do! I don’t want to be physically hurt by my dad in any way. In his words -and I quote “I don’t care if I get put in jail!!” please what should I do I’m in desperate need of help . What should I do ?

A: You did the right thing by writing us here. I would try to talk to your mom and your counselor about the abuse if you can. It is important for them to know that this is what you are afraid of. If there is a teacher you like, tell him or her –- they will know how to help.

If your dad is abusing you, there are always people who can help. But if no one immediately around you can help, contact someone who can. Here is a link to all the web addresses and all the phone numbers of child welfare agencies. Your state is listed. Call them or email them and tell them what your fear is.

Boys Town (which also serves girls) has a national toll-free hotline for you to use to get advice on any number of issues. Call 800-448-3000 anytime, night or day, or visit their website.