When Does Sexual Maturity Arrive?

I have been masturbating for 3 or 4 years about once a day and have only reached orgasm twice. Even the very first time I masturbated I did not achieve orgasm. I usually masturbate laying on my back or sitting on the toilet. The only times I got orgasm was when I tried masturbating while standing up and only for the very first time. The second time was when I tried in the shower, and only the first time I masturbated in the shower did I orgasm. I’ve also gone 4 or 5 days without masturbating and still didn’t achieve anything. Masturbating has become incredibly dull and pointless now. Do I need to wait longer or do I have some sort of problem?

A: People reach sexual maturity at different ages. Normal development of sexual response in young men can happen any time between ages 12 – 18. Some of your friends already look like the men they will be. Others still look like young boys. This is because the sex hormones of puberty kick in at different times for different guys.

If you are concerned that you aren’t developing the other features of puberty, like body and facial hair, testicular enlargement, or an Adam’s apple, do talk to your family doctor. It may be that you come from a family that just develops later than others. But another possibility is that there is something amiss with your hormones. If that’s the case, it’s treatable by an endocrinologist.

In the meantime, please give your body a break. Repeatedly masturbating isn’t going to make your body mature faster, sooner. It’s only discouraging you and making you feel unnecessarily bad about yourself. When your body is ready, you won’t have to work to make it respond.