I have recently become concerned with my mental health. I am twenty-one, and I realize that this is an age where people begin to often experience their psychosis, so I need to ask, am I losing it?

As far as my history goes, my father had borderline personality disorder, and in his last days he completely lost it and shot himself. Also, when I was sixteen I was diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder. I have experienced several loved ones deaths and suicides, I was abused mentally, sexually and physically as a child and because of this, I am worried that I am going to end up with a severe personality disorder as well.

My problem is that I tend to forget that I did something several times a week. Usually, it’s a relatively small thing, like something I said to my sister, or I brought my purse in with me to the office. But tonight I was told by my sister that my room mate had been standing there when I said something, and for the life of me, I don’t remember her standing there. I feel like I am going crazy.

I honestly don’t know what to do. I took your sanity test tonight and it said that I may have dissociative/multiple personality disorder. I then went and looked up the stressors, etc. and it seemed to be rather accurate of what I am going through right now.

However, everyone I have asked has said that they don’t think that I have different “personas,” I don’t change character around other people. In fact, it has often been said that I never change.

But everything else is accurate. I forget things, situations, etc. all the time, and I’m really worried about it. I have also noticed that if I do certain routines my memory gets worse.

All-in-all, how do I find out what I have and can I be treated? I don’t make much as I go to school full-time, but if there is something I can do, somewhere I can go, I am all ears, please tell me.

I have decided to check out my school counselors for now. But, I am definitely open for other suggestions as well. Thank you.

A. I think meeting with a mental health professional at the school counseling center was a very wise decision. They can assist you in multiple ways including: assessing your symptoms to determine if a mental health disorder is present or referring you for a more thorough evaluation, if necessary. They can also treat your symptoms in the short term, which may both decrease your anxiety and improve your overall quality of life.

One of the main symptoms of DID is memory loss. You experienced some memory loss but it’s fairly minor. There may be other, more severe instances of memory loss that were not included in your letter. An in-depth evaluation could determine if your memory loss falls into the range of “normal.”

You may also want to consider having a neurological evaluation to rule out any medical problems. It is important to rule out all medical explanations.

I would also recommend keeping a daily log of your symptoms and memory loss. Documenting your symptoms may uncover unique patterns. That information would also be helpful to your treating physician and your therapist.

Finally, it would be advantageous to continue educating yourself about DID and other mental health disorders. Many people experience a variety of symptoms but don’t meet the criteria for any one disorder. Your personal history is characterized by trauma which may be contributing to your difficulties as an adult. Psychotherapy may greatly assist you with this.

Please take care. Best of luck to you.