Depressed and Highly Sensitive

I need help. Ill try to explain as best I can. I lost my self esteem due to a sad childhood I was held back in school after words I saw no way to save myself so I give everything to everyone else I get money for my dad passing away I was only 7 at the time. I want to get a job but its hard because I drop out of school. I didn’t drop out because i was stupid it was mostly because I didn’t want to get out of my bed i didn’t see the point in school.

There is a lot more to the story but I just want someone to help me get my life together I feel like there no way I can fix my life.

A. I am sorry that you are struggling. You have had a difficult life. The good news is that you can overcome depression and change your life. Help is available. Many people have had depression, sought treatment and were able to make remarkable recoveries. Even individuals who have had depression for decades can experience significant improvements with the assistance of a mental health professional. You did not mention, in your letter, whether you’ve sought treatment. If not, you should.

Once meeting with your therapist he or she can refer you to a case manager who could assist you in getting your GED and a job. A great place to start would be your local community mental health center. If you have health insurance, call the 800 number on the back of your card for a referral to a mental health professional in your community.

Many people are reluctant to seek professional help. Even those who have suffered for many years often don’t see the value in seeing a therapist. Some hold the opinion that seeking professional help is a sign of weakness. They hold the distorted view that everyone should be able to solve their own problems. Others don’t wish to share the intimate details of their life with a stranger. Unfortunately, those attitudes remain prevalent in our society and contribute to the millions of people who live with untreated mental illnesses. Studies consistently show that individuals willing to seek treatment have the greatest likelihood of success.

Depression often creates tunnel vision. Individuals with depression have difficulty believing in a brighter future. Many feel alone, despondent and can’t envision a positive change in their emotional status. In this way, depression distorts one’s view of reality. Realize that there is help for you. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.