Do I Have Bipolar Disorder?

So I had been bullied all my life, have no friends, I feel like I cant talk to anyone and that I cant trust anyone. I thought I depression but then I would burst out into an episode of high self esteem, wild, impulsive, basically I did some research and realised I fit perfectly to ‘Mania’ But then after a week or so I would totally crash. I would feel depressed and feel suicidal. I would burst into tears for no reason have no energy, be indesicive, irratable, and so I did lots of research and I fit Bipolar disoder perfectly. Its been this way for about a year and Im too scared to speak up. Ive been losing my appetite and I dont know what to do. The swings from Mania to Depression have been non stop. What do you think?

A. Cycling from depression to having episodes of mania (“high self-esteem, wild, impulsive”) are common symptoms of bipolar disorder. It is possible that you have bipolar disorder but that is not something I can determine on the basis of a short letter.

In addition, self-diagnosis can be problematic. You should have a psychiatric evaluation. Meeting with a mental health professional allows you to gain the opinion of a specialist. You may also want to consider choosing a therapist who specializes in bipolar disorder. Both psychotherapy and medication would likely be recommended for your symptoms.

You have been experiencing your symptoms for approximately a year but have been too frightened to “speak up.” There is no reason to be frightened. What seems more frightening is continuing to experience your untreated symptoms. The longer they are untreated the worse your symptoms can become.

Mental health professionals are trained to deal with the problems you are struggling with. They want to help. The find help tab at the top of this page can help you locate a mental health professional in your community. I would strongly suggest making an appointment. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.