Do I Really Want a Sex Change?

I want to be a Woman but I don’t know about getting a Sex Change. That is extreme and I am scared.

I live with my mom and her boyfriend and my mom does not let me cross-dress in public because she fears that I will get hurt (I don’t blame her and I understand). But she does support me 100% If I get a sex change because people will then know that I am a female and I won’t be wearing the wrong assigned clothes.

I want to get the surgery because I feel that it is good for me, but what if I want to go back? I can’t.. But I don’t think I will go out.

I am so lost :(

A. Deciding to have a sex change operation, at this point in your life, would be an extreme and premature decision. It seems as though you are in the early stages of exploring and understanding your sexuality. There is a great deal of emotional and psychological understanding that is involved in knowing whether or not a sex change operation would be the correct choice for you. In addition, there are potential medical and physical health considerations that would need to be explored and fully understood before an informed decision could be made.

Don’t feel pressured to make a decision in the immediate future. There is no hurry. Individuals who decide to have sex change operations spend years contemplating their decision. They also consult the appropriate professionals and acquire a great deal of insight, knowledge and education. Take the time to learn what you need to know before making a decision.

Two main areas of focus for you should be: educating yourself about gender identity and transgender issues and consulting mental health professionals who specialize in those issues. Many communities have therapists that are trained to deal with the issues that you are struggling with. One great place to begin searching for a therapist is the Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) website. There may also be support groups in your community. Online support groups may be helpful as well. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.