Difficult Transition from Active Duty

After leaving the military all i wanted was to have a quiet and peaceful life. For a few years now i have been having a hard time separating real life from made up life. But with in the last 6 months it has been very hard on me because my brain wants the (war, chaos, destruction, fighting, mayhem) life at the same time wanting the quiet and peaceful life. The constant fighting within my brain is almost driven me insane. I want to get help but im afraid of losing all that i worked so hard to get.

A: First, thank you for your service. What you are talking about is all too common. The transition from active duty to civilian life is very hard on most soldiers. All wounds aren’t visible. Some, like yours, are carried within. Please contact your local VA. You need some psychological debriefing in order to get the fighting out of your head. You won’t lose all you’ve gained by getting help. You are far more likely to lose your gains if you don’t get the help your brain is telling you that you need. If there are no veterans’ services near you, please find a therapist who is experienced working with returning soldiers. You deserve the support and practical help that some therapy can provide. After all you’ve been through, you deserve the quiet, peaceful life you desire.