What Is Wrong with Me?

I am 15 and am constantly having this feeling that something is wrong or out of place. I have feelings of mental insecurity and always very jumpy. I really don’t know how to discribe this weird awkward feeling because I don’t know what’s wrong or causing this feeling. Please help me I have my relationship whith my parents girlfriend and friends at stake here I dont want to go crazy.

A: Thank you for writing. The first step toward solving a problem is to recognize that you have one. It takes some courage for a young man to admit to himself that he’s over his head. That being said, let’s take this a step at a time.

The first thing to do is to get a medical checkup. It sounds to me like you are suffering from anxiety but it’s not enough to name that. Anxiety can be caused by medical as well as psychological factors. Anemia can make someone anxious or your thyroid may be out of whack. It could be that the hormonal adjustment that is part of adolescence is somehow giving you trouble. Talk to your primary care physician about whether a visit to an endocrinologist might be helpful.

If everything checks out medically, then think about seeing a counselor. You didn’t tell me much about your life so I don’t have much to go on. But sometimes life gets very complicated and makes a person anxious. If that’s the case, you need some new coping tools to help you manage your life. A therapist can help you with that.

I am impressed that you are trying to take care of things to preserve your relationships. That tells me you are an especially mature and sensitive young man. I hope you will take the steps necessary to get to the bottom of what is troubling you.