Severe Depression

I took a depression quiz on this site. I got a 58 and was classified as severe depression. I’ve feeled REALLY depressed for about 7 months now. But I haven’t felt 100% happy, eating alot, or sleeping good for about 3 years now. I haven’t had suicidal thoughts for 4 months.

My mom just found out I feel depressed a few days back. But she doesn’t know how depressed I feel. Today I stayed home from school because I was really tired and had really dark circles under my eyes. Most of the day it’s hard to smile or even talk to my friends at school. I don’t want to get out of bed or see anyone.

Should I tell my mom? Is there anyway of dealing with how I feel without telling anyone or seeing a docter? I want to get over being depressed, but I don’t want it to turn into a big deal for everyone.

Have any ideas? Please please help.

A. Yes, you should inform your mother about the severity of your depression. She already knows that you are depressed. It is important to be honest. The more information that she has about your condition, the better she will be able to assist you in gaining the help that you desire.

It seems clear that your mother wants to help. Without informing her of the seriousness of your depression, the risk is that it will worsen. Keeping this a secret or continuing to minimize your depression would be a mistake. Inform her immediately. That is the most efficient and responsible way to handle this situation. I wish you the best. Please take care.