Bisexual Sister Is Bullied

My sister recently decided that she likes girls. Well when the kids in our school found out they started to pick on her. I talk to her every day to let her known that their opinion isn’t that important and that she should listen to what her heart wants. Her girlfriend is very upset that these kids don’t understand that it doesn’t matter if you are Gay, Bi-Sexual, or Straight we all should love whoever we feel comfortable with.
Since she has chosen this path the kids at school are coming to me asking me why my sister is the way she is. Since I don’t know the answer to that I direct them to my sister and see what she has to say.

Please help I don’t know what to do to help my sister from getting depressed from these mean and rude comments.

A: Your sister is lucky to have you for a sister. You and her friend are providing important support.

The kids who are picking on your sister are bullying her. There are laws against that in most places. Schools have strict policies about it. Talk to your parents about going to the principal and superintendent to report the bullies. If you don’t feel you can talk with your parents, go to your school counselor or nurse. Those kids need to be told in no uncertain terms that picking on another person, regardless of the reason, is not tolerated in a civil society. If they sincerely don’t understand why some people are gay and others are straight, they need some sex education. Your sister shouldn’t have to explain herself to them.

You are right to be concerned about your sister. Being bullied takes a toll on a person. No one deserves to be the target of mean and rude comments every day. Schools need to be safe places so students can get an education in academics, not in how mean other people can be.

I wish you all well.