Concerned About Isolation?

I am a twenty three year old college student who has recently transferred to a different school were I live on campus. I currently have a therapist and take medication for a psychotic disorder. I know I’ve always been a bit different, but after moving to a new place I feel more like a freak then I have ever before. I feel so different from everyone at school. I hear voices in my head and often prefer talking to them and living in my own little world then having the normal college experience. I hate parties and prefer to be alone. I dont really enjoy being in reality and find whats going on in my head to be more interesting then the world around me. My question is, is this normal? or should I be concerned?

A. Yes, you should be concerned. It is not normal or healthy to be continually experiencing symptoms of psychosis. You are withdrawing from others and your symptoms do not seem to be well controlled. It is difficult to know whether your symptoms are making it difficult for you to interact with others or if you lack the desire to interact with others, and that isolation is exacerbating your symptoms. In either case, there is a problem.

You should report your symptoms to your prescribing physician and to your therapist immediately. Your physician might need to adjust your medication. The medication adjustment might help to eliminate the voices. Once your symptoms are under control, you may regain the desire to interact with others.

If it is difficult to meet with your prescribing physician or therapist while away at college, consult the mental health professionals on campus. In addition, inquire about whether any specific help is available to students with serious mental illnesses. Many campuses have specialized support groups or assistance for this population. I wish you well. Please take care.