I Feel Like My Life Is Falling Apart

Ever since I’ve come back from a long vacation over the summer, I feel like my whole life is falling apart. For one, I was cheated on by my somewhat boyfriend by my best friend, and I did not get any sympathy for it. Also, my best friends don’t like me that much any more because a friend of theirs claimed I was talking behind their back, and I was not. I don’t have anybody to talk to because who do you go to if you don’t have friends, and I’m too embarrassed to talk to my family. I’m not that close with them. Every day I feel worse and worse and I don’t want to be around anybody, but at the same time, want to be with someone. I feel as if nobody in this world likes me and if I were to leave, nobody would even notice or care because I don’t have a lot of friends. The way the everything has been going, I’m starting to believe, myself, that I’m a terrible person. I don’t know how to be happy anymore. How can I be happy if I don’t even know what it looks or feels like anymore. I’m I just being paranoid or am I legitimately depressed because I feel absolutely hopeless? I need advice on how to improve my life…

A. You are experiencing a difficult time in your life. It will not always be that way. It is important to keep remembering that.

Feeling depressed makes sense in light of your recent breakup and your difficulty with friends. Many people would feel the way that you do, especially if they had no one to confide in. I would encourage you to speak to your family. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Everyone has experienced difficult times in their lives.

If you feel that you cannot speak to your family, then consider going to the school guidance counselor or seeing a therapist. The latter option would likely require you to inform your parents about your depression. Many teenagers are frightened to ask their parents to see a therapist but they shouldn’t be. If you developed an unfamiliar rash, or a terrible cough, would you feel embarrassed about asking your parents to take you to a doctor? Probably not. The same logic applies to mental health problems.

Parents often want to help but can’t when they don’t know that a problem exists. It is important that one asks for help when it is needed. Otherwise, the risk is prolonged and unnecessary suffering takes place. Don’t hesitate to ask for help. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.