Do I Have an Eating Disorder?

i have a question, do you think i have a Eating Disorder? when i get home from school i usually take a nap so i don’t eat anything. i drink water all the time to keep from eating during the day. the most i eat is some dinner with family so they don’t assume anything is wrong with me. is there something wrong with me?

A: Thank you for writing. I don’t know if you have an eating disorder but you certainly have disordered eating. You are depriving your body and mind of the regular nourishment it needs in order to grow and thrive. I wonder if you know what it’s about. Why would a 15-year-old decide to starve the cells that will make her into the beautiful person she can become?

The fact that you asked the questions suggests that you are getting concerned about yourself. But I suspect that hearing that yes, there’s something wrong and yes, you need to start eating regular, balanced meals will do no good. You need to get to the reasons behind your self-defeating behavior. Please talk to your parents about getting you an appointment with a counselor or see a counselor at the school. The sooner you deal with whatever the issues are, the better. You don’t want to let this develop into a full-blown eating disorder that is harder to stop.