Intense Fits of Rage

I get these intense rage fits over simple matters, and they make me become violent. During these moments, I get the urge to hit people and destroy objects. I feel like nothing would feel better than someone’s jaw cracking under my knuckles. I have just enough self-control to not hit people around me and go hide in my room (or any other secluded place), but I do feel the necessity to hit myself to lower the pressure. Lately I have had to hit myself harder and harder to calm myself down, but even then the rage fits last longer than they used to. I have also seriously started to think about cutting myself with knives. I don’t know what it is, and I don’t know how to make it stop. Do you have any idea what I could do? Thank you.

A. This problem is growing out of control. You regularly harm yourself. You can barely control your desire to harm other people. You are contemplating carrying knives. That would be a very bad idea. Please recognize that outside professional intervention is required.

You should have both a psychological and medical evaluation. A psychological evaluation would be advantageous because it could determine what specific type of treatment would be best for you. The medical evaluation is important to rule out a physical reason for your propensity toward violence.

Please seek help immediately. The concern is that you will continue to harm yourself and perhaps others. The find help tab, at the top of this page, can help you locate a mental health professional in your community. Contact your primary care physician for a medical assessment. Please take care.