Is There Something More Wrong with Me?

I have been diagnosed with OCD, depression and anxiety about 2 months ago and on medication for them. I feel the medicine has helped calm down the OCD habits but I still am feeling paranoid that random strangers and even family and coworkers are out to get me: poison, transmit disease, anything to harm me. I am not suicidal but lately I think about different ways I could die without me physically doing it. Example: car accident, or becoming ill. Is there anything else I may have besides what I listed above?

A: The person you need to be talking to is the doctor who is prescribing your medicine. I hope you are seeing a psychiatrist. You need to be talking to a mental health professional. Please tell the doctor the whole story. Now that the symptoms of OCD are calming down, it may be that you are finding out what was motivating some of the rituals (you called them “habits”). I can’t venture a guess about a diagnosis on the basis of so little information but I do trust the fact that you are distressed enough by these thoughts to want to write to us here at PsychCentral.

I think you should trust yourself as well. Your system is telling you that you need more help than your medication is giving you. Once you and your doctor have discussed your thoughts and feelings, the two of you will talk about a treatment plan. That will likely include some talk therapy as well as perhaps some adjustments of your medicine. Please consider therapy seriously. A supportive therapist will help you figure out what these thoughts mean and will teach you ways to calm yourself when you are anxious or frightened.