Feeling As Though Nothing Is Real

…and i am not in control of my own actions. I’ve been struggling with this for a while now but its recently gotten worse. I feel as though nothing is real. That I am not in control of my actions. I will find myself doing something that I did not consciously decide to do, and have a hard time believing that I am real. I have developed many theories such as the matrix being real, aliens, and even that I am in hell forced to relive the same thing over and over with no free will. I do not know what is wrong with me, but am desperately looking for any help I can get.

A. You may be experiencing disassociation, derealization and possibly delusions. They are signs that something is wrong. I would encourage you to be evaluated by a mental health professional. It is important to seek treatment as soon as possible because your symptoms seem to be growing progressively worse.

Make an appointment with either a psychiatrist or a psychotherapist. You may want to start by getting a referral from your primary care physician. If you do not have access to a primary care physician, then call your local community mental health center or the health department for a referral. Medication could also help to significantly decrease or possibly eliminate your symptoms.

In the meantime, surround yourself with individuals who can help you stay grounded in reality. Do you have a friend or loved one who you can call when your symptoms feel overwhelming? If so, utilize that support. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

@DrKRandle