I Cut Myself for the Smallest of Problems

…and I hate myself. I have cut for a month or two. I do know why im cutting though, I REALY hate everything about myself & whenever i do something little such as miss one point on a test I want to cut. I haven’t told anyone at all, I feel too ashamed to tell anyone or what they will think of me (I fear they will think im absolutly insane). I have considered telling my school councilor but, they will probably tell my parents which I don’t want at all. What do I do?

A. I am sorry that you are struggling. It is difficult to feel the way you do, to be suffering and to feel so alone. Know that you are not alone. Many people feel the same way that you do. They too describe “hating” themselves and subsequently engage in self-harm behavior.

Cutting may be common but it is absolutely unnecessary. Individuals cut for a variety of reasons including: emotional release; thinking that they “deserve” to suffer or because they lack the necessary skills to handle life problems in a psychologically healthy way, among others. The reasons that led you to cut are less important than getting the proper help. Cutting is always a sign that help is needed.

I would strongly encourage you to speak to your school counselor. Your concern is that he or she will tell your parents. That may or may not happen but regardless of the outcome it is important that you ask for help. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Cutting is a sign that someone is suffering and that they need help. Guidance counselors and mental health professionals understand this and act accordingly.

Don’t continue to suffer in silence. Let someone know that you need help. Help is available. Treatments exist that can improve the quality of your life and eliminate your desire to engage in dangerous self-harm behavior. Please take care.

@DrKRandle