Sick of Being Tired

I do not know what is wrong with me. I feel fatigued all the time and my Dr tells me I have neuropathy on the left side. I mostly have my left foot swelling and it seems the more that foot swells the more tired I am. I just do not think I feel like I should. I was recently diagnosed with disthymia. This problems are really effecting my life. I am a single mom going to college. These problems also effect how well I am doing in college. I am always tired even after sleeping, which is usually only about 4-5 hrs a night.

Would you please help me. I am so tired of being tired. I would love to feel relaxed, happy and energetic again

A. I am sorry that you are having a difficult time. It seems as though you are struggling with both medical and mental health problems. Dysthymia is a chronic psychological condition. Essentially it is long-term depression. Dysthymia may be contributing to your sleep difficulties which in turn negatively affects your physical condition. All three conditions — your sleep difficulties, chronic depression, and physical ailments — likely are interrelated.

Resolving these issues probably will require the assistance of both medical and mental health professionals. With regard to your medical problems, I would encourage you to speak with your doctor about how to address your foot problems.

Psychological problems can be addressed in counseling. Counseling could be very beneficial. It could help you address the long-standing depression, help you learn better ways to relax, and teach you emotional regulation skills. You might also benefit from group therapy. Many college counseling centers have support groups or group therapy sessions available on campus. Some colleges have support groups specifically for single mothers.

You may also want to see a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist could assess whether psychiatric medication would be appropriate. Many people take psychiatric medication to relieve their depression. Check with the on-site counseling center to determine which psychological services are provided through the college. Other options include calling your local community mental health center or speaking to your primary care physician. I wish you the best. Please take care.

@DrKRandle