My daughter hates sitting on anything soft

My 5.5 years old daughter hates bed, sofa anything soft like that. This thing is getting really worse! I am really worried about that. I appreciate any help. Kind regards.

A: Some children go through phases where they seem very, very sensitive to ordinary things. When she was 4 or 5, my own daughter went through a period where she hated it when her socks had wrinkles in them. She’d get so upset that the only soluntion was to let her stop wearing socks for awhile. Sometimes the developing child’s nervous system just has to settle down. If that’s the problem, she’ll outgrow it.

Our challenge as parents is not to overreact to unusual behavior. If we do, it can become a way to get extra attention or a battle of wills.

My suggestion to you is to just leave it alone for a few months. If she doesn’t want to sit on something soft, offer her a hard chair. If she doesn’t like her bed, let her put her blankets on the floor. Be as calm and matter of fact as you know how to be. If the issue has become a power struggle betwen you or an attention-getting behavior, it will die out as soon as you stop getting annoyed or upset.

If a few months go by with this new approach and your daughter still overreacts to sensory stimulation, then it’s time to talk to your pediatrician about it.