My eating is out of control

I eat. A lot more than i should. I’ll just finish eating a meal, and suddenly, i want more, but i don’t want just any food. I crave junk food. I know that I should start to eat less and exercise more, but i can’t find the motivation. When i think about how unhealthy this is for my body, i just eat more. It’s gotten to the point where it’s hard for me to control. Please help.

A: Please give yourself lots of credit for writing to us. The first step toward change is recognizing that you have a problem. You do. For some reason, you can’t control the impulse to eat even though you are an intelligent person and know that it isn’t good for you.

I can’t help you figure out what’s at the root of this because I simply don’t have enough information. But I do know you should take it seriously before binge eating becomes such a habit that it’s really, really hard to break. A quick internet search of “eating disorders and the name of your city” resulted in a long list of therapists and clinics that help people just like you. Please talk to your parents if you can and ask them to help you find someone who can give you the support you need to stop this problem before it gets any bigger. If you don’t think you can talk to your folks about it, please consider talking to either your doctor or your school guidance counselor. They can then help you talk with your parents.

Please follow through. You’re only 13. It’s important to nip this problem in the bud so you can enjoy happy and healthy teen years.