I feel useless

I am 21 years old. I used to be a college student, but got discouraged after failing my first class ever. I have since been working. I am looking to change things around, but I feel like I won’t succeed. I want to own my own business, but bad credit and no money isn’t the best thing to have when you want to do this. I feel like nothing and I’ve gotten lazy because of it. I am very talented, I know, but I have lost my sense of reality and it is hard getting it back. Please help me.

A: You are so certain that you aren’t going to succeed that you are practically guaranteeing that you won’t. One failing grade and you give up a college career. You are talented but won’t put those talents to the test. I can only guess that your self-esteem is so tied up with being successful that you don’t have room to take risks, to make mistakes, and to learn from your experience.

I strongly suggest you get yourself into some therapy. You are not your own best friend right now. You need someone in your corner who is going to help you recognize your smaller successes and build on them. You are fortunate to live in a city where there are many, many private therapists and mental health organizations. A quick search on the Internet yielded quite a long list. Ask your doctor for a recommendation if you aren’t sure where to start.

Please do follow up. Therapy will give you the jump start you need.