Dealing with losing the love of my life

I am 24 years old and my girlfriend of 2 years has broken up with me. She claims that shes too broken to pursue a relationship further as she suffers from social anxiety and depression. She has had these problems since we began our relation but after she came off her medication it compounded her problems. Now she is leaving me and claims she doesn’t even know why and says it’s just easier for her to run away than try to fix the problem. Help!

A: Your girlfriend is ill. Right now she needs love and understanding, not pressure to be in a relationship. It sounds like she needs to get back on her medications and into therapy. The best way to love her is to support her in doing just that. She knows she isn’t healthy enough to be in a relationship. Trust that. But that doesn’t mean you can’t be a good friend and support. If your love was built on mutual regard and shared interests, you’ll find each other again. Once she is feeling more stable, she may love herself enough to be open to renewing what was sweet between the two of you.