Trichotillomania Help Requested

Hi, this is Malana ane im 15.. i have Trichotillomania and ive pulled from basically everywhere possible. My common spots are scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes, and pubic area. My eyelashes are gone and the majority of my eyebrows are gone too. I have two bald spots on my head also. Ive been trying to find some sort of inpatient rehab or treatment center for trichotillomania or impulse control disorders and im having a hard time finding any. Im afraid if i dont get the help now then im going to end up worse with no hair on my head bc of the pulling.. i need help and im not sure what to do. Ive tried many things like medication and a psyciatrist.. but its not working. The medication only helps with my depression.. if u can, id really appreciate it if you could help me by finding a rehab center or treatment center that could help me.. anything that can help. Thank you.

A. Hello Malana. I am sorry but I don’t know of a specific clinic in your area that I could refer you to. Clicking on the “find help” tab at the top of this page might help you locate a treatment center close by that specializes in anxiety disorders. I would recommend reviewing therapists’ profiles on the Psychology Today website. I would recommend also reviewing and discussing that information with your parents. They could assist you in this process.

You can also try performing an Internet search using the keywords “trichotillomania treatment” and the name of your town. Websites containing information about trichotillomania may also be a helpful source of information. Try these two: The Trichotillomania Learning Center and The OCD Center of Los Angeles. Psych Central has a trichotillomania and OCD support group that you may also want to join.

Other people have found it helpful to call the local health department to inquire about the treatment centers in their community. Also, if there is a telephone number on the back of your insurance card, a customer service representative may be able to assist you in locating a specialized treatment center.

You mentioned that you have been to a psychiatrist and that you have tried medication. Have you tried speaking to your psychiatrist about what other options are available or if he or she can refer you to a therapist? If you have not had this conversation with your psychiatrist, you should.

It seems as though you are trying very hard to seek the proper help for your condition. I commend you for your efforts. I hope you are able get the help that you desire. If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to write again. I will be glad to assist you in any way that I can. Please take care.