Ok, so my problem is that whenever an older female shows me any kind of love or affection I talk like a baby. it is usually with my aunty whom I love very much. I don’t know why I do it and at when I start doing it I don’t realize until half way through and then I am embarrassed. my father abused me as a child but the main hurt in my life comes from my mother hating me. she has constantly put me down over the years and has never shown me any love whatsoever. I never got a hug from her even though she hugged and showed love to all my siblings. I do not understand why the woman hates me and is so hateful to me as it was not my fault that I was born. she threw me out of the house when I was 15 and we have never spoken since. back then it did not bother me but now I feel alone. I want to stop talking like a baby to those who are loving towards me as it is quite a silly thing to do. any help with this I would be grateful. thanks

A: Without getting all psychoanalytic about this, the most direct way to make the transition is to practice saying a clear and simple thank you. No elaboration, no other reaction, just a simple thank you to acknowledge the kindness.

At the same time I would begin individual therapy to begin coping with the poor mothering you received. (The find help tab at the top of the page will help you find someone in your area.). By approaching the issue from both ends you will gain a practical manner of dealing with it, and understand the origin of the problem through working with the therapist.