Wondering If I Have An Eating Disorder?

I think that I may have an eating disorder, but am not certain. I have a difficulty actually eating because it just does not seem appealing or often, disgusting, repulsing. It is not that I believe myself to be overweight, “fat” I just have rather strong WANT to lose weight. Usually followed by the thought “I don’t need it anyway, besides I eat enough as it is.” Could it be a disorder?

A. Based on the limited information I have, it seems as though your thought processes about your food intake and your body are consistent with “eating-disordered thinking.” By “eating-disordered thinking,” I refer to a certain way of thinking that is common among individuals with eating disorders.

My recommendation is to have a psychiatric evaluation. The diagnostician would gather more information about your history, your current set of circumstances and make an informed diagnosis.

Generally, we are a reactive society rather than a proactive society. This is especially true when it comes to mental health disorders. People often do not seek treatment until they have spent a considerable amount of time suffering. It doesn’t have to be that way. The sooner you can be evaluated the better. Early identification of a possible problem can prevent the development of a full-blown disorder.

Being proactive is especially important when it comes to eating disorders. They have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Eating disorders not only affect the mind but they destroy the body. It is important that you have a balanced approach to weight control. If you struggle with weight control, get help now. Don’t wait until the problem becomes unmanageable.

If you would like to write back and provide more information about your history and current symptoms, I may be able to give you a more informed answer. In any case, I believe that it would be advisable to have a psychiatric evaluation and to be proactive whenever possible.

I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.