Finding Someone To Help

Copin it would be better if you can force yourself to sit through the anxiety g with depression and anxiety from being a possession: I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for most of my life. I was abused by my mother and stepfather from the age of 5 when my father died to the age of 12 when my stepfather sold me to his dealer. I finally escaped in 2001. I am seeing a psychiatrist who is giving me medication for depression, but I am having difficulty finding anyone who can help me with the issues I am having learning to cope with being a person instead of a possession. How do I find someone who can understand and help me?

A. I am very sorry that you have had to endure such difficult life experiences. I can imagine how challenging it has been for you. Thankfully you escaped that situation and are now on the road to rebuilding your life. I applaud your strength and courage.

My recommendation is to consider therapy. Medication is only part of a comprehensive plan for treating depression and anxiety. For most psychological disorders, the most effective treatments typically encompass both medication and psychotherapy.

It might take time to find a good therapist. Start by interviewing between five to 10 therapists. Interview them over the phone. Ask them many questions such as: Can they help you? How exactly would they help you? What would they suggest that you do? Would they be willing to see you and if so, how soon and how often? How long have they been in practice? Have they helped other individuals with similar problems? What were the outcomes of those situations?

Choose several promising therapists and visit them in person. Continue this process until you find a therapist whom you feel comfortable with. This therapist will likely be your best choice.

Another idea is to ask your psychiatrist or primary care physician for a referral. Your friends or family might also be able to provide a referral to a good therapist. Lastly, the find help tab at the top of this page can assist you in locating a therapist in your community.

I hope this answer helps to guide you in the right direction. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to write again. I wish you the best. Please take care.