How do I go about getting a psych eval?

By Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

i need to know how to go about getting a psych eval for a custody case. i am in the middle of a custody case. I was ordered to obtain a psych evaluation but have no health insurance and very little money. How do I accomplish this?

A: Since you were ordered by the court to get an evaluation, I think you should talk with your lawyer about how to go about it. Your lawyer will probably know whether there are clinics near you that offer low cost services or if there are other resources available.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie




Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 30 May 2011

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2011). How do I go about getting a psych eval?. Psych Central. Retrieved on October 22, 2014, from

Want a more immediate answer from others like you?
Use your Psych Central account in our self-help support community.

Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter

Find a Therapist
Enter ZIP or postal code