Depression…Bipolar?

My Mom seems to be depressed most of the time…She gets very evil, nasty & lashes out on her family…. She has made it unbearable…Every time a holiday rolls around she seems to get worst…. She seems depressed…. mad…. sad…tired…does not want to do anything…then complains she has nothing to do…bored etc.hates my dad.blames alot of her misery on him…She is miserable…. I’m telling her she needs to get help. Or at least start with her primary doctor…she needs to be diagnosed…. she has had a few losses in her life & has not been able to get over these situations…please help. Thanks.

A: I am sorry you are going through this with your mom. Your insight about what she needs is correct. At the very least a trip to a primary care physician would be the right first step.

Explain to your mother that this would be a help to you because you are concerned about her, and know that she can’t be happy the way she feels. I would arrange for you and she to go together so you can be there as both a support and an advocate for treatment.