My boyfriend has general anxiety

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years. We’re going to be seniors in high school, and about 6 or 7 months ago, we, (me, my boyfriend, and his family) began to come to the conclusion that my boyfriend has an anxiety disorder. He began going to a therapist about 2 months ago, and she told him that he definitely has general anxiety and that he also has slight OCD. The OCD stems from him obsessing over the same thought or thing that makes him nervous. He is scared of driving because he thinks he’s going to hit something without realizing it, he is afraid of going to jail (even though he is completely straight edge. he has nothing to even to hide), he is also afraid of hurting or offending people by accident. What I would like to know is what I should be doing. How should I be dealing with this? How do I cope with it without making it worse? I love my boyfriend and I just want to see him go back to himself. What should I do?

A: It can be difficult to love someone with an anxiety disorder and symptoms of OCD. The combination of medicine and psychotherapy are the best way for these conditions to be treated.

What you can do for your boyfriend is to recognize and have compassion for his struggle, and be able to set clear limits about what you can and can’t tolerate. For a complete discussion of this please see Dr. Marie’s comprehensive comments here.