Emotionally Unstable

Please help me I’ve been seeing things that aren’t real for as long as I can remember. They show up in mirrors behind me. I’ve gotten very depressed, for no reason at all, and I hide it from everyone. I’ve become very worried about strange things, like i’ll be thinking about things and suddenly I believe someone is reading my mind, I believe it so much I stop thinking certain things. I’ve tried telling my parents, but they don’t seem to believe me. I know that this is something more than a “typical” thing, and I need help. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with me?

A. It is difficult to know what the problem actually is. It is unusual to see or hear things that are not there. It does not necessarily mean that there’s something “wrong” with you. It might signify a possible mental health disorder but maybe not. A psychiatric evaluation is the best way to obtain a diagnosis.

It is important that you no longer hide your symptoms. Hiding your symptoms makes it more difficult for you to receive help. Your secrecy might be why your parents have difficulty believing that your symptoms are real.

You attempted to speak to your parents once but you need to try again. Be detailed about your symptoms. Write a letter, if you believe that it is an easier way to express yourself. One way to underscore your level of concern is to tell your parents that you wrote to Psych Central requesting advice about how to handle what you perceive to be a helpless situation. This might get their attention.

You can also try talking to the school guidance counselor or another member of the faculty. Relatives may also be a source of support and guidance.

I hope you are able to get the help that you want. Please take care. I wish you well.