Suffering from really bad depression

I do not know whats happening to me. I am randomly getting depressed all the time. I consider suicide almost everyday. It is not because of the stress of schoolwork. I just feel weak and sad all the time. I feel like i do not belong in this world. Even though i am underage, i drink alcohol to try to get out of this depression. During when I’m drunk, i feel very happy but when i get sober, i become even more depressed. And i also get mad all the time. I do not want a person to person meeting. I just want to know what i could do to become normal again.

A: I’m sorry you are having such a terrible time. What you need most is what you say you don’t want. A counselor would help you get to the bottom of why you are feeling so depressed and would give you the support you need to work yourself out of it.

I know it’s hard to think about talking to someone about really difficult things. But here’s the thing: If you could climb out of this depression by yourself, you would have done it already. As you’ve found, drinking doesn’t really help. Talking to yourself hasn’t helped. I urge you to stop trying to medicate yourself with alcohol and get yourself a therapist instead. We therapists don’t bite. We’re even helpful a good deal of the time. You’ll start to feel better about yourself if you just start to take charge and do what you need to do to connect with a counselor. If you don’t know how to find one, ask your doctor or school counselor for the names and phone numbers of a few professionals they would recommend.

It can take a few weeks to get an appointment. If things get really tough in the meantime and you need someone to talk to, the counselors at the Boys and Girls Town Hotline are available 24/7. The service is free. Their number is: 800-448-3000 or try their website.