Help! I See Dead People

What’s wrong with me?! Agh I need help! I can’t sleep! I keep hearing voices and seeing dead people! I saw my sister dead in the fireplace! UGH I don’t know what to do! This happens nightly! Should I tell my mom what is happening?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME AND WHAT DO I DO?!!! Do I have schizophrenia or something?! I am not on drugs, nor do I drink, I am 12!!!

A. Only an in-person evaluation could determine if you have schizophrenia or any other mental health disorder. If you are hearing voices and having hallucinations then you need to be evaluated as soon as possible. Schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders may be the cause of the voices and visions but these disorders are rare in children. There are other possibilities. Please report your experiences to your parents immediately. They need to know that you are having such experiences. If you don’t report this information to them, then they will be unable to help you. If reporting this information to your parents is not an option, then report it to another trusted adult such as a trusted family member, school guidance counselor, nurse, principal, teacher, clergyman, etc. The most important aspect of this issue is that you seek help and be evaluated.

On rare occasions, individuals report hearing voices or “seeing dead people” and believe that they have psychic or mediumship abilities. There is a television show devoted entirely to this topic called Psychic Kids. I am in no way suggesting that you are psychic or that what you are experiencing is supernatural in nature. I am simply observant of the fact that individuals who claim to be psychic or to have mediumship abilities often claim to “see dead people.”

The best way to handle the situation is to be evaluated by a mental health professional. It is important to determine what is causing you to have such frightening experiences and to find a way to decrease or eliminate the voices and hallucinations. Delusions and hallucinations can also be caused by medical problems and this is why it is so important that you receive an evaluation. Speak to your parents immediately. I hope you are able to get the help that you need. Please take care. I wish you well.