I don’t feel like I’m normal

Hi. I am concerned I may possibly have a type of mental illness. Um, I’m confused with myself. I have never felt love; I’m 15 and never had a crush on anyone. Is that strange? I feel like it is. I also have a lot of out of body experiences. That’s not quite right. I can’t see myself; I just watch from the back part of my mind, but I could control myself if I wanted to. I can feel that I’m still in charge of myself, but I normally just allow my body to react however it wants to. Note: these experiences normally happen during times of rage, endurance, sadness and the rare occasion of happiness.

A: Thanks for writing us. There is too little information here to know for sure, but the fact that you are uncomfortable with these experiences is enough to warrant a chat with the school guidance counselor. The fact that you notice the experiences during times of high emotions is important. But so many things can happen when we have strong emotions that it would be hard to figure it out on your own. I think talking to a guidance counselor or a trusted teacher in your school would be the right place to begin.