I think I may have depression

I dunno. I’ve always cry over the stupidest things, I’ve had suicidal thoughts, I can never fully concentrate, I’ve been usually hiding in my room depressed even when something good happens I will still be sad, and for about a year I’ve had lots of chest pains. My parents and friend say it’s just being a teenager but I don’t know.

A: Thank you for reaching out to us here at PsychCentral. I am glad you took the time to write.

It isn’t just being a teenager—it is just being human. Most of us will go through periods of time when some of the feelings you are having will surface. When this happens it is important to find a way to talk about it and find ways to deal with it. Because you have listed your age at 13 –I would let the guidance counselor in school know that you want to talk about these feelings. This is a good way to talk to someone who is trained and understands.

You are the only one who knows exactly how you feel, and I would encourage you to trust that fact. You know it is more uncomfortable than others, like your parents and friends, my understand. The guidance counselors in your school should be able to help. Sometimes just talking about the feelings can be enough to make a difference. I would ask to talk to one of them as soon as you can.