LSAT will be the death of me

I knew the stress of my LSAT would get bad, but it went from bad to worse today. Everything someone says makes me think that they are trying to emotionally attack me. I see people looking at me and something inside me says they are talking about me. I have recurrent thoughts of wanting to harm myself, or maybe even kill myself. I have thoughts that people don’t care about me, and they are just trying to kill me. I feel like I annoy everyone. I have no motivation to do anything, not even get out of bed. I can’t sleep or anything. I want to get checked out, but having no insurance is a major problem. I just feel so hopeless. I know that people are conspiring to kill me. I feel like dying. I don’t feel right anymore. What is wrong with me?

A: Trust your instincts. I agree with you. It sounds like you’ve studied and stressed yourself to the point of exhaustion and worse. Get a good night’s sleep. If you still have these feelings the next day, please take yourself to your local hospital emergency room for a psychiatric evaluation.

Sometimes people push themselves beyond what is reasonable and the mind kind of blows a fuse. If that’s the case, some rest, some medication, and some talk therapy usually bring things back to normal. Please, please don’t be embarrassed to ask for some help. You are certainly not the first (nor wiill you be the last) student to stress out about a high-stakes exam like the LSAT. Your system needs help, not self-criticism.

And please don’t wait more days and weeks to get that help. If you could have settled this all down on your own, you would have done so already. Cut yourself some slack and go for the help you need.