I just don’t feel like I used to anymore

I am 19 and a sophomore at Penn State University, and I don’t feel the need to do anything anymore. I have no interest or motivation to do my work anymore. I have an LSAT in December, and I have felt absolutely no motivation to study for it. I am not necessarily sad, but it takes a lot to get me excited about much anymore. I don’t like being around friends much anymore, and I feel overwhelmed if I am around a lot of people. I get angry whenever my roommate gets back to the room, cause it ruins my alone time. I used to be the opposite way. I would welcome my roommate as a relief from being lonely. I don’t trust anyone at all. I always think they are gonna betray me. I don’t think there is any hope for my future. I have no insurance. What could be wrong with me? What should I do?

A: I am glad you found the energy to write us here, and know how tough it is when motivation is lost.

You sound like you are depressed, but it isn’t clear what may be the activator for it. There are many factors that can cause a lack of motivation or caring. Not feeling sad, but simply despondent is also common.

Since you are a student at the university you are entitled to counseling. I strongly recommend you set up a counseling appointment ASAP to see if they can help sort these feelings through with you.