I suffer from Anxiety problems and am said to have learning difficulties what could i have? I’m said to have learning difficulties i’m 21 years of age have problems with roads telling the time on clocks and i’m socially isolated from other people and i live as a recluse most of the time with about 2 friends cos i either come across as very quiet or really talkative mainly about football but i was said to have learning difficulties back in primary school i never went to secondary school cos i got bullied back in primary and now at my WorkDirections i get a taxi their and back aswell cos of my difficulties and i’ve never had a gf either i can read and write so i know it’s not Dyslexia?

A. You may have dyscalculia. Dyscalculia is a math learning disability. Some of the symptoms include:

• difficulty telling time;

• difficulty following directions or reading maps;
  • inability to grasp basic math concepts;
  • difficulty mastering basic addition, subtraction, multiplication;
  • difficulty comprehending “the big picture” or larger abstract concepts;
  • poor sense of direction;
  • getting lost easily;
  • poor athletic coordination; and
  • difficulty keeping track of the score during game such as bowling or concentrating during board game such a chess.

It is difficult to know if you have Dyscalculia or another type of learning disability. I would highly recommend your being evaluated by a disabilities expert. It would be the best way to determine what type of learning disability that you may have. Check with your primary care physician for a referral.

The anxiety that you have described may be associated with your learning disability. You may be socially isolating because you are self-conscious about your learning disability. A therapist could effectively help you deal with your social anxiety. A therapist may also be able to help you locate a facility for evaluation. Please click on the find help tab at the top of this page to locate a therapist in your community. On the Internet, there are forums you may want to join. Those forums may connect you to other individuals who have a similar learning disability. People find support groups helpful because they can connect with others who understand what it is like to have a particular life struggle. Below are other resources you may find helpful.

Learning Disabilities Association of America

Learning Disabilities Online

National Center for Learning Disabilities

Good luck. Please take care.