Eating Disorder or Not?

I’m having issues with eating..It first started at age 11 when I was diagnosed as having anorexia. I’m 21 now and through these years I still have issues with food and body. I’m right now 190lbs at 5’4″..I know fat!!! But for 3 months now I’ve been binging and purging at least 4 or more times a week and also restricting to..could I have an eating disorder at this weight or not??

A. Bingeing and purging are not considered normal under any circumstances. They are a sign of bulimia. It seems as though you continue to struggle with an eating disorder. Instead of anorexia, you seem to have shifted to bulimia but keep in mind, only an in-person psychiatric evaluation could determine with certainty whether you have an eating disorder.

If you are not currently in treatment, you should be. Eating disorders are very serious. They are dangerous because more individuals die from eating disorders than from any other mental health disorder. It is important to develop a healthy relationship with food. Food is life-sustaining. Without it we would die. It is a fundamental element of living.

It is important that you seek help immediately. The longer you wait the more damage your body will endure. The risks of bingeing and purging include kidney problems, severe dehydration, tooth enamel decay, sore throat, swollen glands, and gastrointestinal problems. Effective treatments for eating disorders include cognitive behavioral therapy, antidepressant medications such as Prozac and family therapy. Family therapy may be an especially effective treatment. Click the find help tab at the top of this page to locate a therapist who specializes in the treatment of eating disorders. Please write back if you have any additional questions. Please take care. Good luck.