Depressed and scared of what I might do to myself

I have been depressed for the last year. But it recently got worst when my mother had a baby and got remarried. I cry every single day. I never can go to sleep at night. I have a strange eating habit. When I am hungry and then see the food I lose my appetite I either over eat to the point where I feel like vomiting. I have headaches at least 3 times a week. I feel so hopeless and unloved and forgotten. I have cut myself but I never do it so much to where I’m dripping blood down my arm. I cannot talk to my best friend because she was recently put on medication for depression. I am afraid my mom will think I’m crazy and suicidal and out me in a hospital –I know she won’t but I still fear she will. I want to tell her but I do not know how. I barely ever go to school because I just want to sleep all day and be alone. It has taken a sever toll on my grades. I am afraid of what I might do to myself and I want to get help but I just do not know how to tell my mother.

A: I can understand how painful the changes are in your life. The anxiety, eating problems, depression, headaches, cutting and hopelessness are serious signs of a depression. Perhaps talking to your friend is a good idea as it may be she understands since she is using medicine. As you note your age as 16 I would find a guidance counselor in your school and talk to him or her about the issues and pain you are feeling. This is a lot to manage on your own, and some individual counseling is needed.

Talking to the counselor will open the door to get support. The counselor can also assist you in getting some therapy outside the school if he or she feels it is needed. If the person prescribing the medicine is able and willing, you may want to talk to him or her about therapy to go along with the prescription. Using both methods works best.

As far as telling your mother goes I would explain your concern to the high school counselor. They are usually very well trained in helping parents and children communicate. My hope is that he, or she, can help you with talking to your mom.