Why do I feel this way?

upset.

Im 15 with great family and friends. They are all very supportive and I was very happy. But for about a year now I haven’t felt the same. I don’t know what happened. Nothing has changed except me. I don’t have the same intrests as i did before…i don’t have any intrests at all anymore. My parents are starting to notice that i dont get excited anymore over anything. I am constantly silent and ive started shaking.I never feel happy, in fact i usually don’t feel anything. I don’t have any energy anymore. I don’t Know what’s going on.
A few months ago i started cutting and I can’t stop. I do it almost everyday now. I don’t like it and I have been having to lie constantly about how i got the cuts. Ive stopped eating even though I used to love food but now it discusts me. What’s going on? i never used to feel this way. I was very happy before but now I am never happy.

A: I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a letter, of course. You already know you are in some kind of serious emotional trouble. It’s not normal to feel so detached and listless at 15. Cutting may help you feel a bit better momentarily but as you also know it’s a dangerous habit to get into. It’s time to stop thinking about getting some help and to start doing it.

The first thing to do is to get a complete medical checkup. Please be open with your doctor about what you are thinking and feeling. Believe it or not, there are physical illnesses that can account for how you feel. We want to rule those out before deciding it’s all in your head. If you get a clean bill of health, then it’s time to see a counselor or psychologist for an evaluation. Again, it’s very important to be completely honest. The counselor will then give you his or her impressions and will suggest ways you can be helped.

Give yourself credit for reaching out for some help by writing to us here at Psych Central. Now please follow through and get yourself the help you need. You don’t want to lose your high school years in this haze. You deserve to have friends and fun.

While you are waiting for appointments, you can also call the Boys and Girls Town hotline whenever you feel down or think about cutting. The number there is 800-448-3000. The service is free and sympathetic counselors are available 24/7 to talk to teens who are feeling depressed or upset.