Why can’t I just be happy?

Hi I am 20 years old and just recently moved to Chile with my mother after the separation with my step dad. I have always suffered from depression and have taken medication for it but it seems to never work. These past few years it seems that I have gotten worse. I am constantly down on myself never thinking I am good enough. I can’t even remember what it feels like to be happy. I get angry over what my mother tells me are small things but I tell her they aren’t small to me. I am always on a rollercoaster of emotions, I can be having a good time and the simplest thing will bring me down and I am upset the rest of the day. I don’t have a home anymore and am staying with family and they are constantly taking my things and it makes me so angry and I just want to cry. Whenever I try to explain to my mom or anyone how I am feeling I start to cry. I have gotten to a point where I get so angry I don’t even scream anymore I am just silent and cry. I feel like I am filled with all these emotions all the time and I hate that I feel so sad and angry all the time but it seems like I can’t be happy. It makes me feel like I am a burden on everyone and it would just be better if I was gone. Why am I this way? Why can’t I just be happy?

A: I am sorry this has become such a difficult time in your life. Depression is often activated when we feel we cannot control various aspects of our life, and gaining control of the areas we can is typically the key for feeling better.

There are several things we can do to combat depression that I have identified elsewhere. I will encourage you to read through these as a foundation for change.

The short answer is that coping with a depression is like walking up a down escalator and we must find the tools and the strength to deal with changing our thoughts and attitude as a way of neutralizing and overcoming these feelings. In particular I would encourage the use of the technique called the “Three Blessings” because it can be used as a direct way to start changing your thoughts.

I would encourage you to seek counseling now to develop a support system in your new location. The find help tab may be helpful as international links are included.