Feeling Suicidal

I feel really suicidal,I want to take my life away.Also I have the feelings to “kill other people” and don’t know why.I tried to kill myslef 2 times but did not work,and tried to hurt another human being.I laugh very strangely when I see other people hurt and seem depressed alos. Please I need advice,and Iv’e benn thinking if i shold go to an mental hospital before I kill someone.

A. You have attempted to harm yourself on two previous occasions. You also tried to hurt someone else. You are currently having thoughts of hurting yourself or someone else. These facts are very concerning. You should go to the hospital emergency room immediately. An imminent desire to harm yourself or someone else is an emergency situation. Call 911 if you feel that you cannot control your behavior. The hospital can keep you safe from harming yourself or an innocent person.

Once at the hospital, you will be interviewed by psychiatric social workers, nurses and a psychiatrist. They will ask you various questions regarding your mental health. They will be attempting to determine whether you are a danger to yourself or others. If they believe that you may harm yourself or another person, you will be admitted to the hospital. This process may take several hours.

You will then be moved to a psychiatric unit for further evaluation and treatment. Your psychiatric hospital length of stay will depend on the severity of your symptoms, among other factors. You will likely be offered medication, group therapy, and individual therapy sessions. You will also likely meet with a psychiatrist on a daily basis. The goal of a hospital stay is to reduce your acute psychiatric symptoms, keep you and others safe and ultimately to connect you with the most appropriate mental health services upon your discharge. I hope you are able to get the help that you need. Thank you for your question. Please take care.