Depression?

Is this some kind of mental disorder? Hello there Iv’e been experiencing depression, like:

1.Feeling empty
2.feeling sad
3.feeling worthless
Also been having mood swings not like for no reasons but from stress or too much worrying about problems in my life. I can’t sleep well for ex:
1.wake up in the middle of the night
2.can’t go back to sleep after i have woke up
3.sometimes I don’t feel sleepy at all so i can stay up for a whole day
4.often have nightmares

Also sometimes at night I get the feeling of being watched and ralery see shadows. believe that i’m special somehow,and i sometimes feel really hot-headed.

A. Some of the symptoms you mentioned such as feeling empty, sad, and worthless are consistent with depression. Irregular sleeping patterns are also a sign of depression. Other symptoms are not consistent with depression such as the feeling of being watched, seeing shadows, or the belief that you are “special.” These symptoms may be more characteristic of bipolar disorder and specifically mania. Mania is a specific cluster of symptoms that characterize bipolar disorder. Individuals with mania describe the following symptoms:

• euphoria
  • thinking they are special or like they have magical powers
  • racing thoughts
  • excessive happiness
  • decreased need for sleep or restlessness
  • excessive energy
  • rapid talking
  • sudden changes in mood

It is important to keep in mind that you may not have bipolar disorder or any other mental health disorder. I can only offer a possible explanation regarding what disorder might account for your symptoms. Individuals can and do experience symptoms that do not match any specific mental health disorder.

Given your symptoms, it would be wise to be evaluated by a mental health professional. An evaluation could help to determine if your symptoms are consistent with a particular mental health disorder. An evaluation could also assist you in finding the best treatment for your symptoms. Click the “find help” tab at the top of this page. It can help you to locate a clinician in your community.

Thanks for your question. I wish you well. Please take care.