Anxiety and No Help For It

I feel like I have no one that I can reach out to without sounding like a complete lunatic. If I talk to my boyfriend about it he’d think I was just a girl with a bunch of problems, especially because just yesterday I told him that he was the one causing all of my stress (which he is a big factor) if I talk to my mom about it she’ll blame my symptoms on my boyfriend and not get me the help I need, this is honestly so scary because I can’t keep living like this and I need help. I can’t do this anymore, my stomach is killing me everyday (sick, nauseous 24/7), i’m having anxiety symptoms and not only that but I feel so hopeless and i’m scared because I know I need help but I don’t think my needs will be met.

A. It is difficult to know how your family would respond to the anxiety problems. You believe they will think negatively of you but your fear may be unfounded. To say they would consider you a “lunatic” may be an exaggeration. Part of the fear may stem from not feeling comfortable discussing personal problems with your family. If so, this is perfectly understandable; many people feel the same way. An alternative and recommended option would be to seek professional help.

Anxiety is a feeling that can occur when someone is overwhelmed. The anxiety could be in response to an incident that had occurred in the past. It might also be related to a future event. Sometimes it can be difficult to pinpoint the source or the exact nature of anxiety. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can help with this. CBT is currently the best treatment for anxiety disorders. It can assist a client in uncovering the source of their anxiety. A CBT therapist can teach clients strategies for managing their anxiety.

Some people are frightened of seeking professional help but there is nothing to fear. It is the job of the therapist to help you. Therapists expect people to come into counseling with problems or aspects of their lives that they wish to improve. Their professional training prepares them to assist clients with problem solving. No therapist will think negatively of someone because they have anxiety problems. Anxiety is one of the most common reasons individuals seek mental health treatment. Therapists are trained to deal with these and other related problems. Not all therapists are created equal and some will be better than others. You may feel less frightened about seeing a therapist if you called several and spoke to them before meeting face-to-face.

If you decide that you want to try therapy, call a number of therapists and present your situation to them. Ask questions about how they would help you. Choose the therapist with whom you feel the most connection. Studies show that whether or not you like your therapist can make a significant difference in the outcome of counseling. If you choose to seek therapy, which I would strongly suggest, here is a page that could help. I wish you well. Thank you for your question.