Psych Central

Close friend is experiencing weird things

So a really close friend of mine (18, male) has been experiencing some weird things. Well first of all when he was 14 he fell asleep for a few days, then when he woke up he didn’t remember anythin past 3rd grade, and only remembered fragments of what had happened before then. He says sometimes he heres these weird voices, and other times and thinks theres multipul people inside him. He also has these moments where he does something and doesn’t remember that he just did that, and also spaces out at times, and doesn’t realize that maybe hours has gone by but only thinks its minutes. He also says he has trouble understanding other people, and has never felt anger or sadness. It’s almost like he can’t I’ve tried to talk but he’s very religious. I’m starting to worry and I don’t know what to do.

A: Of course you don’t know what to do. You’re only 14! Your friend is having some very strange thoughts and experiences. It’s possible he has a medical condition like a seizure disorder or a mental health problem. He needs to be talking to a doctor, not to a young friend. The best thing you can do is acknowledge that this is over your head and help him get to a professional. Tell him that you care about him and that you want him to feel better. Reassure him that you value him as a friend. Encourage him to tell his parents or a doctor or a counselor what he has been telling you. Since he is religious, he might find a priest or minister or rabbi the best choice. These people may be able to help him in a practical way. You can’t.

You deserve some support as well. It’s hard to carry information like this about someone you care about – no matter what your age. I hope you have the kind of parents a teen can confide in. If so, they may be able to help find your friend the professional help he needs. If not, please consider talking with a school counselor or your clergyperson or some other trusted adult.

I’m very, very glad you wrote. You are clearly a sensitive and caring person but your friend’s problems are really beyond what a friend should be asked to handle.