Just a Dream?

I have this same person that reoccurs in my dreams that talks to me and sometimes tells me to do things. This may be nothing, but aside from my social anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, and apparently bipolar disorder(which I think I have been wrongly diagnosed as) I have told my therapists and psychiatrists almost everything. As a child, I used to have these strange dreams that included a rather domineering figure which would then appear in the daytime as well. I would ask questions and he would answer. It was mainly just harmless dreaming I suppose, but then he would tell me to do things like draw or read, and sometimes I talked back. He never told me to do anything really bad except maybe burn a few things down. Other than that, it was alright. I still have this going on, and to be honest am too embarrassed to bring this up to my therapist. I don’t know if it’s me, or another voice. All’s I know is that I can’t control it, it just comes and goes. I am unsure if it is just harmless imagination or if is a problem.

A. Please don’t be embarrassed. I understand that it can be difficult to relate this sort of information to others but in order for your treating mental health professionals to fully help you they need to know about every symptom.

It is difficult to determine based on a short letter what the problem may be. I’m not certain if the voice is your imagination or a type of delusion. The main concern is that you are unable to control the voice when it occurs. It tells you to do harmful things therefore it is not completely harmless. The goal is to learn how to control it or to eliminate it completely. Medication may help. Your therapist or psychiatrist may have other approaches to deal with this problem.

Mental health professionals can only work with the information they are provided. Withholding important information can severely limit how well they can help you. It is in your best interest to be as honest as possible.

Thanks for your question. I wish you well.