Migraines and Hearing Voices

I feel like I’m losing my mind? Okay, so I’ve just started seeing counselors at school about my issues, which mostly revolve around depression. I’m going to the doctor soon to get diagnosed. But it’s not really the sadness that’s getting to me. About a year and a half ago I started getting these migraines a lot. And they just seemed to be getting worse and I started to lose focus on everything. I started doing worse in school, but I don’t do any sort of drugs, or drink, or take any kind of medication (except Tylenol for my migraines). And starting, maybe half a year ago, the migraines felt like a million voices just talking or whispering or yelling inside my head, and I get really agitated and aggressive. And when it happens, I don’t worry about anything other than trying to make the “voices” stop. It’s draining me from all the energy I have. I’m scared to tell people, because I don’t think they’d believe me. And I don’t even know how to bring it up to my counselors.
Does anyone have any advise, or know what’s going on with me?

A. I would strongly urge you to bring this problem to the attention of your counselors, the physician who prescribes your migraine medication, and to the physician who you will be seeing soon about your depression. All of your treating medical and mental health professionals need to know about the voices that are accompanying your migraine headaches. There could be a problem with the migraine medication. The voices might also be related to the migraines. It is difficult to determine what may be causing the voices and that is why it’s so important that you report this information to the medical and psychiatric professionals. They will be able to evaluate you and treat your symptoms.

If you’re not certain about how to approach your counselors and other treating professionals, try saying something like this: “I have something that I want to tell you but I’m frightened about your reaction. I’ve noticed that when I have migraines I hear voices. I try very hard but I cannot get them to stop. It is very aggravating, emotionally draining and I’m not sure how to handle it. I need some help. I want this problem to go away because it is negatively affecting my life. Can you please help me deal with this problem?”

If speaking to them makes you feel uncomfortable than perhaps you can give them the letter you have written to us at Psych Central. It explains the problem you’re having.

There is a high probability that your counselors will be able to help you but they can’t assist you if they are unaware of your problem. Please report this information to them immediately. Thank you for writing. I wish you well. Please take care.