Hormones and Mood Swings

I think that something is wrong with me! I find it really hard to concentrate sometimes. Once my friend asked me to wait for her and I said ok and a minute later a forgot about it. These events constantly happen to me. I though that I maybe had ADD however I just show some symptoms. I also go from happy to really angry like in a split second. In these moments I get really pissed and resentful at everybody. I actually feel like punching something. Once I was with my sister and we were watching t.v. and suddently I got very mad and I had to leave the room to calm down. Sometimes I’m just really hyper and I’m jumping everywhere and I find it hard to sit still. My thoughts go from one idea to the other and I feel everything is possible. I actually kind of like these moments. Sometimes I’m just very sad, depressed or really irraritable.

A: One of the hardest things for most people is to feel like they aren’t in control of themselves. It’s confusing and sometimes even scary to feel like you don’t know where your feelings will go next. Since you are a 14 year old girl, it’s possible that the ups and down you are experiencing are the result of the cascade of hormones that occur during puberty. It’s also possible that you are growing so much that your body hasn’t adjusted to itself. I think it would be helpful for you to see your medical doctor for a complete check up first — just to make sure that there isn’t something like a vitamin deficiency or a thyroid problem going on. Then educate yourself about what happens to girls physically and emotionally during puberty. You could also ask your mom what the early teen years were like for her.

There are lots of bad jokes and good information about the emotional ups and downs of adult women during menopause. What a lot of folks don’t know is that adolescent girls go through much the same physical and emotional upheaval. The good news is that time does help. You will eventually grow out of this. In the meantime, get good information and take care of yourself. Be sure to get enough sleep. Eat right. Find a physical activity you enjoy. Good self-care usually lessens the effects of the hormonal and brain changes that are a natural, but sometimes difficult, part of growing up.