Wanting To Change The World

I am not like anyone else, I hate people. I hate human beings. If there was a button in front of me that would wipe out the entire human race I would not even hesitate to press it. But it is not for no reason. I just hate how our world is. We are destroying the Earth, and the government is in total control. And I just don’t understand how people don’t care. Kids my age are so stupid. All they care about is who dates who and parties and things that do not matter. I want to actually talk to a psychiatrist but my parent does not have the money. I don’t think there is anything wrong with me, I think it is everyone else. I just wish people were smarter. And I can’t find anyone else who is like me. I want to change the world. Help me do it.

A. I would encourage you stop focusing on other people. What others do and say should be of limited importance to you. What is important is the development of yourself and your potential as a human being. There will always be individuals in the world that you don’t like or don’t agree with. That is the nature of life.

Focusing on other people is likely going to lead you to a greater level of distress. You cannot control other people. You can and should do your “part.” You can control your behavior but not the behavior of other people. You can control how you respond to other people (i.e. choose to ignore them and not let their actions bother you) but not what others do.

If you feel this is a problem that you cannot solve independently then I would encourage you to consider therapy. It could help you to change your focus from others and onto yourself.

Your focus on other people may also mean that they have an influence on your overall happiness. This could mean that your happiness is dependent upon others. That would be detrimental to you. I do not think this is your desired outcome. Your thoughts and feelings would then be other-directed rather than self-directed.

You can help to change the world and make it a better place. I am reminded of wise words that I heard long ago and have never forgotten. “It is better to light just one little candle than to curse the darkness.” You can be that candle.

Community mental health centers (CMHC) usually offer free or low-cost services. Check your local white or yellow pages for the phone number to your local CMHC. I would urge you to consider this as an option. Perhaps your parents are unaware of CMHCs. I hope you’re able to receive help and to feel better. Thanks for your question.